![]() |
| Solo - being bashful as I told him how handsome he was |
Yesterday I reached out to Kristyn, Pal's new owner, to check in, wish Merry Christmas and see how things were going on their end. It has officially, tomorrow, been one month since Paloma left *mental tear*, and three weeks today since Solo arrived.
Andd.... not to mention four weeks, one day since I had any real sort of riding. Sorry, So but the occasional lap of trot that makes me beg for a seatbelts in saddles does not count. Atleast, 'woah' works well, whether requested or not! Plus!
Anyhow, I got into my best thinking mode as I commuted to work and I thought to myself, everyone drilled into my head how much I would miss Paloma and regret selling her while I nodded that I would miss her and dismissed that I would regret the decision.
Then, I thought, do I regret selling her? Answer...
Well yeah, I regret that I don't have a horse that I can, quite literally, jump on and off, toss over 3'+ courses and ride around without tack with zero worry for safety. A horse that I could actually get my work out on and of course I regret not being able to see her face when I walk into the barn.
However! This is reality. I cannot afford two horses at a boarding facility and I honestly don't have time for two horses. With work, studying, a husband and a house to take care of I am lucky to get to the barn three times a week at 5AM in the morning. Hell, 5AM alone is a feat!
Doing a 180* here and doubling back to the original sentence in this post, Kristyn let me know that Paloma is doing well. Being her cheeky, inquisitive and giant lap dog self that has zero idea how large she is, 'mom' is still the safe zone, safest being on top of 'mom'. Kristyn also learned exactly why Paloma must have a window in her stall, guard horse on duty y'all!
As I continued to read the email, I felt sad for missing her but happy that she has found such a good home in the world, there really are not THAT many good ones out there anymore. As a horse owner, having to sell a horse, this is literally all you can ask for. Being that she is ridden 4-5 days a week and appreciated for what she knows and gives is a major plus! Not to mention it lets me know I made the RIGHT choice in finding her a new home with Kristyn.
On the flip side, I think a select few people are wondering 'what the hell did you buy a coming 3y/o quarter horse for?'
Obviously, every one supports my decision from what I hear. Hear being key here. Though, I wont concern myself with the rest but at moments I thought the same myself! Trust me. I often have no idea why my gut tells me things, sometimes things just happen to align and you just KNOW, rather than want.
Of course, I wanted a mid size 15.2-16hands and aged 8-10y/o, AQHA 3' hunter packer with a ton of chrome, sensitive to my leg and a huge reaching shoulder and floating gait. One problem. I didn't have $30,000 to spend on a horse. If I thought the market for warmbloods was expensive, I now think the AQHA market to be the lottery. (For those who manage to sell them! haha)
It seems like the market trend for warmblood horses is slowing dropping away and people seem to be glancing in the way of OTTB's and AQHA/APHA horses.
Horses who tend, as a whole, to be very well and selectively bred, not just bred for the fashionable tag of 'warmblood'. (Though, I am in no way trashing warmbloods as there are some very nice ones!)
With my budget in mind, knowing what I wanted in a horse, why I wanted it and how I wanted to get it, I quickly... well to me, hours of internet stalking to my DH, found Solo, or The Hot Sensation, formally named Wyatt. A then, 2.5y/o colt. Stamped 'APHA' but in true essence an appendix QH.
Like some people read horses, I read horses in the eye.
Solo had the kind, willing, 'do as you may with me' look. That combined with a sensitive mind and body I just knew. Despite his 'early two year old' gangly and scrawny looks, there were some positions and angles I caught sight of what he would become in future. The gorgeous chromey chestnut, well red dun, that I begged for as a 13y/o girl, and never got.
So here we are, yes, I think there is regret and sadness behind Pal not being 'mine' anymore. Yes, I do miss the fame behind being known as the girl with the 'giraffe horse', likely more so next season.
In the end though I think and hope, I made the right decision.
The prospect of years before he will be where Paloma is now seems daunting but the best times I remembered were the baby years, 3 through 5. Clearly skipping the months of backing, but if someone has to do it, I would rather do it myself and know he was treated with kindness and was not pushed or his young joints abused.
Right now, he is probably the kindest and most 'accepting of all things horse-niverous', coming three year old I know.
Yes, Paloma never did try to buck ever! ...and Solo 'bucked me off', sort of, on our second ride. I still reason with myself that I would have stuck like the glue I was as a child if I had been able to get my other leg over. However, I now refuse to ever try side saddle!
Overall, he is a pretty cool guy and I am enjoying working with him and seeing the tremendous amounts of what he absorbs each and every time. I swear it is at least an 80-85% average.
That is like child genius stuff right there!
Cutting off my thoughts turned finger tapping right there.
Merry Christmas to everyone! ... and pray I don't kill myself on this sensitive guy.
Cheers.
![]() |
| "that was a GOOD roll! So exfoliating!" |


i definitely understand what you mean about feeling some pangs of remorse and sadness in thinking of the riding i did with my former horse, compared to the greenness of the new guy. it's an adjustment for sure! we ended up here for reasons tho, even if that's hard to remember while looking through the rose tinted lenses of nostalgia. Solo is lovely and i can't wait to see how he blossoms under your care!
ReplyDeleteThank you Emma. I really appreciate your kind words! Very wise. Glad to have another in the 'Green' boat lol
ReplyDeleteI've never sold a horse, but there was one horse I leased for a long time in high school. I'm sure he's passed on by now, but I still think about him and wish I could have given him a forever home.
ReplyDeletePrices are really weird. Though down here QH are cheap cheap cheap, as are TBs (though I think the QH's might be cheaper than the TBs) WBs are still very expensive.
ReplyDelete