Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Solo; the personality behind the chrome.


Weanling Solo with previous owner at a futurity show.

Today, Wednesday, will be my first day since Solo arrived that I have not gone to the barn. I swear I am like a kid on candy. Hyper and itching to get back to the barn and pick at his baby brain.
Solo has so far turned out to be exactly what I had drawn up in my mind when I was considering why I wanted a different horse and what I wanted of this horse.
Despite being a bit skinny and scrawny from all the stallion hormones that were running through his veins, you would never have known he had well... Balls, lol, a week ago. Why is that word still so funny and I am in my mid twenties. Cmon girl, grow up!

Things I have learned about him this week.
After having another long chat with his previous owner I discovered that Solo ground tied. Not a big deal for most but I have always tried to train Paloma to ground tie. Total bonus! 
He probably hasn't had his feet done in a dogs age, hence the funky feet so I ordered up an 'emergency' farrier call yesterday before work. Much better already!
Solo is an odd horse as far as spooking goes. He is not spooky at anything I would consider 'horse scary' but is a bit head shy. But only a bit so it will be easy to cure I believe. I am thinking this is more relative to him being sensitive and low on the herd totem.
Solo is very perceptive to body language. Oddly perceptive. He is very good with voice aids, walk, trot, canter, woah, switch, over etc. But unless you use the correct body language, I could be talking Chinese to him. For instance, if I say 'woah' but don't slightly turn my chest to face his haunch he just keeps trucking.
Solo LOVES snuggles. He will sit in your arm pit all day. No I don't use Old Spice lol.
He is pretty good with the saddle too. Maybe slightly not a fan of the girth but that's a baby thing.
Nothing! Of mine fits him. So far he is a medium narrow gullet, 72" blanket, 44" girth, cob head etc etc. *Sigh*
Lastly, I have sat on him twice now! Whoot. Tomorrow morning I am going to gauge his mood and mental capacity and attempt to walk off. Fingers crossed y'all!!



3 comments: