| Ahh... now I understand why Paloma refuses to let go of the bit until thoroughly licked. Juicy carrot goober, yum! |
This topic has been a popular one around forum boards and both my online and real world equine friends lately. A couple of the show circuits in our area are offering Derby classes this year which is both really exciting and intimidating for me.
I hope there are trot fences!
We all know Paloma screams hunter with her consistent pace and daisy cutting movement but unless she finds the jump interesting, large or gets to a solid 6-foot take off, she finds little reason for effort and gets flat. Smart pony. Which, in the end, is better for me really because it highlights her ridability and makes my job that much easier. I see a future as a Children's hunter....
I have to mention though, her flatness has greatly improved over her two years of over-fences employment, especially with our use of taller fences and a little more collection work in her back pocket.
Unfortunately, none of our local circuits offer EQ over fences classes, only on the flat and if that.
Total bummer for us!
But... with the addition of these Derby classes I think we may have found a niche that we can both enjoy. Though I admit, removing the flow of traditional hunter courses sounds a little tricky.
My memory before 10am and several doses of caffeine is pretty limited to straight sighted lines, so if I temporarily forget on course, which has been known to happen, ("....weird, this course ends in a odd place"), it is normally pretty easy to pick back up.
If you don't believe me, ask Mish-mosh, my anxiety last year during my debut in eventing was not the fences or the height, it was remembering the track. Ugh.
Back on topic. With the offer of Derby's this year I am not entirely sure how well it will be received in this area. Most horse/rider combo's here either consist of green horses and good riders or good horses and green riders.
It will be interesting for all, to say the least but I think it will be a really great experience never the less.
I am going to go out on a limb and set my first goal this year, which I think can be applied in many ways.
If there is an/the Option, I am going to take it.
Note to future self: as you attempt to weasle your way out of something out of your comfort zone, remember how much fun you had doing your first three part event last year. Can we say thrilling!
Do the derbiessss!!
ReplyDeleteHaha, I am excited to give it a shot!
ReplyDeleteYes! All the derbies!
ReplyDelete