It is now time to shed those extra locks in favour of a more airy mane-do.
The newest and hottest style for the 2015 season, the Bowl Cut!
After my ride the other day, I took a look at Pal's mane, got slightly sickened by the length and the amount of pulling it will take all to look prim for a few weeks time before growing up or standing in the Fjord salute up once more. Not to mention, at that time I do my very best to fight the urge to roach it all! Mwahaha.
So, I got to cutting! *gasp- the horror*
Paloma has a bit of an odd mane.
It is perfectly thin at the first '1/3' and last '1/3'. Leaving the middle '1/3' thin but bushy. I get that this sounds ideal. Only 1/3 to pull right? But you can't. If you pull the middle 1/3, despite taking all the time in the world to ensure no broken hairs and using only red, pained fingers to pull the hairs from the root, you may have a perfect looking mane for a couple days.... until it stands straight up and we truly go for a giraffe-esque look. Spots, spiky mane and all.
The problem, or so I have discovered, is her thick crest. It is soo muscled that it may sit flat while not working but when she begins to use her neck, the Fjord salute begins :'(.
Insert the bowl cut solution.
I do still have to do a bit of pulling... at some point... to even her mane out but for the most part. I am leaving it.
Not only does this solution keep her mane lying flat, it prevents her sunburning, (very light skin under her mane), and it makes for very quick and simple plaiting for show season. All hair is even, hallelujah!

I use the bowl cut solution on my pony with a cresty neck -pulling and shorter than about 6" results in a fjord pony :) Less pulled = weighed down and even!
ReplyDeleteGlad you do it too! Makes me feel better about the whole idea. I get harrassed but it works!
Delete