Thursday, April 30, 2015

Left Brain Introvert Exercise #1

Ever since learning that my horse is a 'Left Brain Introvert', I have been doing some research into what this means and how to gear my exercise planning more to her interest, since brain interest seems to be key with the left brain introverts.
It does make perfect sense though and it parallels everything I have been saying about Pal needing her brain to be activated in order for her legs to then follow.
No brain? No legs. No forward.

In other words, I am developing a series of exercises and posting these on the Dotstream blog.
Maybe they can help other people? But to be honest, posting these is mostly for selfish reasons, it helps me keep record for recycling later.

Tonight will be my last practice ride before the Selena clinic. I am going to jog to the barn, set this exercise and warm up with some suppling exercises for both Paloma and I, especially me though since I have been noticing some stiffness through my hips which has been preventing me from really dropping my weight down and using my leg effectively.

No more delay, here is my first exercise and I will briefly explain my plan and why I developed it.

 
 
 
Ignoring my poor Paint skills, the basis of the exercise is a 'square' of canter poles, set 18feet apart on each diagonal. These can be trotted through, cantered through, whatever for warm-up and will later be an addition to the jumping exercise.
I plan to trot the exercise as added warm up because Pal needs a reminder to use her haunches over fences.
Then proceeding, we will canter large, head into the first line, vertical line, jump the jump, concentrating on my position and getting myself organized for the halt at the wall, halt at the 'x', relax a moment, insert pats if things go well, then turn on the haunches, or forehand if you rather but I prefer haunches for my purposes, away from the wall so the inside hind is static but activated. Immediately ask for canter, then go over the diagonal canter poles, one stride between. Either continue with the over line or have a break.

What I like about this exercise is the need for good riding and instruction on my part, ie: not slipping my reins, sitting up, prepping to halt and no jumping ahead. And the combination of a TOH to a canter depart as this will really wake Pal's brain up.
The poles just re-balance and add an extra element to increase carefulness and strength.
The low but wide oxer adds a second element to the exercise by asking Pal to stretch out and then compact herself quickly to halt.


I will update tomorrow on how this action plan works!

Cheers!





3 comments:

  1. interesting! sounds like plenty to keep her thinking haha. now i'm super curious about where my mare would fall in the spectrum lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a similar pattern with my easily bored girl not so long ago, had my pole diamond and a tiny vertical on each long side. I trotted out of the turn on the haunches and asked for canter over the poles just cause she's a bit greener. It worked great and definitely kept her forward and interested - hope your ride was even more successful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yeah! Everyone has to check it out.... I found it here http://www.parelli.com/horsenality-horse-training-dorsquos-and-donrsquots.html
    It more or less confirmed things I already knew but I didn't know how to 'categorize' them and set up fixes.

    This exercise worked very well! Though, it was tough! With only three strides in and out of the lines and maybe two before the first pole on the diagonal, it left little room for error.
    It did, however, wake Paloma up and she was quite responsive and willing.

    ReplyDelete