Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Luck with the Four Leaf Clover
Last night I cursed when I saw my horse.
I really had hoped my eyes were playing tricks on me or that it was a trick of the light but that was not to be. It was meant for me to me to give dear Paloma a deep cleansing scrub in attempt to make a dull brown horse white-ish again. *sigh*. Honestly horse... why?
After about an hour at the spa and having covered my own self in all the dirt removed from Paloma, we were able to tack up and head out for what now had to be a quick ride if I was to get home to cook dinner today. That also was not meant to be. Sorry hubby, horse comes first today.
I had given Pal four days off following her 7th birthday on April 17th. *sniff they grow up so fast*
I more or less had an idea that she would be lazy and dull today, it is just the way she is after a few days off. Annnd... she was lazy and dull as foreseen.
Normally, we have either brain or body dull-ness but today was both. I was bound to overcome it so if she didn't want to give me more forward, she was going to at least give me impulsion and work correctly behind, so I set up the 'four leaf clover pattern'.
I had seen this exercise done at a clinic and in order to be accurate you can't be too forward but you must have balance, proper riding and impulsion to get through smoothly and not land in a heap.
Ride-ability, balance and impulsion are three strong points with Paloma. Forward, is well... not our brightest point.
I know what you are thinking. If she is lacking forward, work on forward, not these. Well, I believe in feeling out your horse. There are days when you should take on the battle and there are days where they just feel 'blah' like we do now and then. And with Pal, if she truly doesn't want to give it to you today, your not getting it, so you might as well take what she will give you and work with it. So I did.
This exercise turned out better than I had hoped. Yes, it drastically improved ride-ability, balance and 'hello' impulsion! But I also found Pal becoming more forward by the end because her brain was kicking into gear and because she was using her whole body, (especially her haunches), the forward began to flow more naturally from back to front. Rather than the, 'forward only because you won't stop bugging me'.
Another plus was the change in Pal's lead changes.
She has always changed automatically when the bend changes but it is usually a flatter hunter type change. But with this exercise her changes had more sparkle and were more tidy and compact. Great feeling.
All in all, this exercise was tough! Both Paloma and I were puffing after a few trips through, so I don't recommend a ton of work on this, otherwise you will both feel it tomorrow, trust me!
Labels:
Gymnastics,
Training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment