Thursday, April 9, 2015
Tried and Tested- Oiling Tack
After a long time hearing that oiling your tack, and I mean olive oiling your tack, is a phenomenal treatment for new not quite broken in tack, I finally broke down and did it!
Initially, I heard whispers of this but like everything the opinions were grossly mixed. I more or less stood on the sidelines and watched it all go down.
Most of the concerns were with the stitching and binding of the tack.
Because cotton was the primarily used stitching of yesteryear, natural oils of any kind were said to break down the fibres of cotton and cause the stitching to fail.
Now, in this day and age, you mostly find acrylic bindings, which tend to be far more durable that cotton. So the trouble with the oil degrading the cotton is really a moot issue now.
Discovering this turned me brave.
So upon bringing homely looking tack home to clean on Monday, I first soaped, twice! to remove the dust and stubborn 'jockeys' on my saddle and then poured a little olive oil in a dish and heated until lukewarm in the microwave to open up the leather pores. More absorption!
I bought my saddle about three-four years ago now, and while in broke in quickly and is very comfortable, the parts that are not regularly rubbed stayed new looking and stiff. Plus, despite all regular tack cleaning and 'tack oiling' it never got that deep colour of well used and loved tack.
Hearing this age old trick left me wanting....
I got right to it. (Though a little tip. Don't do this on your area rug. If you do, lawyer towels on yourself and the rug, trust me).
Initially, the oil didn't look like it was doing anything, I rubbed lightly in circular motions and continued on.
It wasn't until about five minutes later that I noticed my tack was really soaking it in and darkening! Whoo.
The bridle, leathers, saddle seat and knee cushions absorbed the quickest being calfskin and overall were left slightly darker than the rest but the results were an even darkening and after applying twice, allowing to soak in for 10minutes before wiping clean, the leather was buttery soft.
One of the best parts was the underside of the saddle and stirrup flaps. Normally, the leather nap (the underside/rough side of the leather), always feels a little dry despite conditioning. But now, it was lovely and flexed beautifully. Success!
I was cautious about applying to leathers and girth straps. Only a skim coat to maintain continuous colour before wiping off. These parts get a lot of wear and while I am sure things are different with the materials used today, I rather use an air of caution.
After wiping the excess oil off, I went about conditioning with actual leather balm because the oil let the tack feeling a bit dry. Strange right? I have always read to condition after oiling but never knew why until now.
I am doubting I will use this oil method often but I feel like I want to adopt this to a semi-annual schedule.
I really should have taken a photo when it was done but after two hours of cleaning, I smelled like a tack room and really wanted my bed. I will be sure to snap one this week, though with a little arena dust I am sure. I mean us true riders would look odd with spotless tack right!?
Labels:
Reviews.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

So glad you tried this experiment, as I too have heard a lot about it! My primary concern is... what happens when the olive oil goes rancid? It doesn't have a SUPER strong smell but... it can go bad. Definitely update us with how well this holds up!
ReplyDelete