Wednesday, April 1, 2015
The Owl's Approve Blog Hop; Changes for Horse and Rider
We’ve talked about what your horse doesn’t like to do, and I don’t want to confuse this with that. I’m not talking about personality quirks or training foibles. Tell me: if you could change something (or things) about your horse, what would you?
It has been awhile since I have participated in a blog hop, sorry everyone but I just haven't really 'felt' the topics until this one. Beka over at Owl's Approve has some really creative and fantastic topic ideas.
To be honest, there really isn't anything I would change about Paloma but if we are nit-picking I can come up with a couple items.
Shorten up her back: Pal has all the right things in the right places, conformation wise, to make for an uber cute hunter except, she is a little long in the back. This makes for a pretty flat form but comfortable mind you. It is only until the jumps exceed 3' or 2'9 with a decent spread that she really starts to round that top line.
But even so I say this lightly because I have read several articles with evidence that horses who are just slightly long in the back but overall solid conformation tend to have a longer full work shelf life than those with shorter backs.
And lastly, for my own personal and training preference, a good reliable and safe packer wins over a fancy jumper anytime. The two rarely seem to come in one package....
Lengthen that tail: Oh the appy heritage.... While Paloma conformationally looks mainly warmblood, her tail is about a 50/50 split. Full and fluffy soft but short.
I have attempted all possible remedies to encourage growth but nothing helps but time and careful grooming.
Over the years I have pretty well admitted defeat and realized that all I seem to be able to influence is the fullness by ensuring the snarls stay to a minimum and that she gets a dock massage and conditioning detangler spray after each ride.
Now for longer contents.... What would Pal change about me? Let us just make a list shall we?
Straight from Pal's mouth
- Stop nagging. I know my job, even when I pretend I don't. It will get done... but on my time
- Stop over thinking with your half halting and moving around up there, just do your job and be a good monkey..
- Stop brain storming gymnastic exercises, I don't like them. I jump courses just fine when you ask politely, end of discussion.
- And no. No 'discount double check'. If I did it once perfectly, it's over. We don't need to come again. Obviously I know what I am doing if I did it once already, pft.
- Free the noms. If you put cookies in your pockets and stand by my shoulder, it is equivalent to drive through fast food, don't attempt to thwart my efforts to grab said pockets.
Labels:
Blog Hop's.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I think my two would say the same about me! I'm a terrible nag lol
ReplyDelete