![]() |
| Hmm... I think this is the answer to my question.... Much rain equals much equine crisis. |
Oddly, despite the title of this blog and the photo heading this post, today isn't about Paloma.... unless you consider a very wet weekend a pony crisis. (I just thought her expression to be very candid of her mood Saturday).
What I am posting about is regarding a recent situation which has popped up and is honestly boggling mine and a friend's mind. We have both sat down looked at all the situations and factors present and removed and we are still at a loss to what could have brought on such a sudden change in a very independent and brave gelding.
This gelding never cared about leaving the herd, being turned out alone and never once turned an ear, or cocked a hoof if other horses threatened him or came close. And now, while he is still very attentive to his rider under saddle, he calls often at shows, will literally herd his other pasture mates away from each other and away from their people...let's not talk about when a mare is in season...
What can cause a 'chill' middle aged gelding to begin exhibiting stud like behavior?
We have discussed the situation oodles of times, the only factor that has changed in said gelding's life has been his pasture mates.
Starting at the beginning. Said gelding was turned out solo in his own pasture, adjacent to a rather exuberant mare. This mare was his love and they often played and nuzzled over the fence. When the mare's owner took her to another barn, the gelding began his spiral.
In response, BO decided to merge the gelding with one of the herds in the big pasture. The merge went well, as usual, the gelding didn't give a hoot where you stuck him. He was content.
The issue slowly began to build when a couple other raunchy mares came in season. They quite clearly toyed with his heart strings... Poor boy.
Months later the situation of herding the mares away from the other geldings, loosing marbles when the mares are removed from the pasture for riding and generally not being pleased when owners come to gather their horses.
I know what you are thinking... 'He needs to be away from mares'...Or 'he needs to go back to bachelor life'... funny thing is, this gelding was always in a mixed herd prior to his solo run which was only brought on by one particularly studdy painted gelding eating his blankets and torturing him. Even weirder, that painted gelding is now back in the herd and is now submissive....hmmm.
In recent response BO has switched out horses from geldings herd and it hasn't helped. Is this an equine version of a mid-life crisis?
Gelding after much soul searching and deliberation -
"I shall not allow the other horses to push me around anymore. I shall not allow them to eat my trendy and costly Bucas blankets, this is my wardrobe dangit! I will not be soaked wet because of bite holes! ... Oh and I'll take the mares too."

Is the rest of the herd acting wonky too, or just him? I wonder if somehow his hormones have gotten out of order. :/ If its a long term thing it might not hurt to have some blood work done.
ReplyDeletehuh weird - sounds frustrating too. idk what to say really tho, except stuff you've clearly already thought of (like moving him to a boys only field)
ReplyDeletePhantom balls? Ha! No clue. very wierd.
ReplyDeleteWeird that he's all the sudden so insecure about his place in the world. If he were mine, I'd change back to what worked before and if that didn't work I'd be talking a vet. When my mare got a little "weird" a few years ago a blood panel turned up low magnesium and selenium.
ReplyDeleteBehavior can change, especially if these mares are really tugging on his heart strings. The gelding my mare was turned out with was very attached to her and more so when she was in season. He'd even mount her and it actually became dangerous enough that we had to separate them when she came into season.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I'd look at putting him into a boys only field. If he is displaying dangerous behavior when other people are trying to get their horses I don't know that the mare-owners will remain as tolerant and understanding.... It's a frustrating situation, but I assume the horse is also under a lot of stress when his mare-friends come and go. It can't be healthy for him. Poor guy. Hope you find a solution that works.