Tuesday, September 22, 2015
The Coming's, The Going's...
Hello, my name is Kaila and I am a serial absentee blogger.
With my work computer nearly blocking every option on Blogger and computers, themselves, being the last thing on my mind when I get home from work, my posting has suffered. I do hope to get the bandwagon back on the road after this coming weekend where horse shows and house work will be coming to a close.
Hopefully on the later anyways... This weekend, prior to the show, we are rolling out sod... eww.
The last week has brought a close to a few qualms I have been having and opened a few new ones. Story of an equestrian's life, right?!
While I have opted out of my 5AM morning rides because I cannot for the life of me find Paloma out in the field in the now pitch black. Not to mention I end up tripping over everything in my path and my butt is not having any more of it.
I now battle the sunset for my outdoor rides but despite that I have managed to cram in some solo trail rides and I have to say the progress is in the green. I get that heading out solo in familiar places may not seem like it will help me in new unusual locations but I feel like it will prepare me more, mentally, and in turn help Paloma deal with it all.
Plus, the pony-kicks required to get Paloma's butt out in the fields have arrived at the happy number of 'zippo'. Except when the neighboring farmer decides to chase us down on his noisy ATV.. who does that!
On the other hand Saturday, Mich and I had a productive jump school where, I think, we both learned/ or were reminded of some areas that require improvement. Ie; my micromanaging and Paloma's attempts to be an honest horse and listen to what I am asking despite the fact that she knows what to do.... my bad....
Oh and... as much as I LOVE jumping oxers, I do not LOVE looking at them. Psych myself out much!? ..The likely culprit of Pal's naughty refusal a few weeks back.
And I cannot help but finish with the main inspiration to the name of this post, my newest unfixed issue.
Our canter-trot transitions. *le sigh*.
Those who know Pal, know of her bangin' transitions as result of many months of work. Well, we recently ripped off a bandaid or picked the scab if you will, and have now lost our once smooth, problem free transition. Although, it is my fault entirely and had to be done.
As much as I thought Paloma was in front of my leg because she was in fact, moving forward nicely and freely, she wasn't.
It began when someone I was speaking to about 'best fixes for spookies' asked what Pal 'felt' like when I said she was moving off my leg. At first my face went all... :S errrmm.... but then after talking about it and her giving me a picture of sorts of what I should feel, I realized that Paloma doesn't usually feel like .. "we are going for a gentle walk and she is both carrying me forward and leading me" at the same time. More or less like the feeling of a powerful sports car when you accelerate off from a stop.
So I focused my thoughts on attaining this. I know I have had it but I don't usually have it.
The only pitfall is that when I achieve true forward and off my leg, Paloma is forced to learn how to recycle the new energy back to her haunches rather than merely balance the energy. If that makes any sense...
So in conclusion Pal is getting a wobble that feels pretty much horrible! *le sigh #2*
Cheers to more training!
Labels:
Training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

ugh i'm working on the same canter-trot transitions and was recently accused of 'flopping' into them. boo. it's always something tho, right?
ReplyDelete