Friday, September 11, 2015

Taking Action on 'Alone', Day One.

"I don't think we are in Kansas anymore Ma..."



Funny... it had never occurred to me that Paloma had any 'herd bound' issues.
She is perfectly content being left out in the field alone, being alone in the barn, riding alone in the indoor with no horses in sight, never hollers when we go to different venues for show's or clinics and flatly never has any issues leaving the group.
Although, in light of our recent issue with heading out on cross alone I have realized that while Paloma is confident due to always being on top of the pecking order and not requiring a 'shoulder to lean on' like some of the subordinate horses she is not totally confident leaving the herd behind completely and being visually and audibly alone. (Of course I don't count...yup... chop liver here).

Taking the advice of others who have dealt with a similar issue I have decided to, for the most part, opt out of traditional schooling for the next month and do all my schooling and rides out in the open fields around the barn here. Yeah, we won't likely achieve as much as on a normal day but if I take a look at the levels of skill sets I need for a successful eventing experience we are trending mid to high on the dressage and stadium training, (for this particular division mind you...), in contrast we are trending pretty low on the scale on confidence in the field, alone.
I mean really... all experiences with your horse are 'training' no matter if we realize/intend it or not.









Yesterday I decided to get a leg up on this tactic and because it is no longer light, sadness, for my 6AM rides, I was forced to ride in the evening. But it was perfect weather so I am not complaining.

Battling with the closing sunset I got to the barn at 6:25pm, tacked in record time and pulled up my big girl britches for our 'field trip'. (haha I crack myself up.) 
Thankfully I remembered to bring my dressage whip since Pal really didn't want any of the 'leaving' thing. While most times if she is genuinely new to or afraid of something rather than being plain ole' stubborn I let her sit quietly and adjust before I push. Today, she was just being stubborn. She has gone through the creek how many times? Hacked out here how many times?
Yes, now you are alone but GET OVER IT AND MOVE IT! NOW!

Two whacks when she refused to budge and a third when she cow kicked at the aid and we were off as usual.

Paloma was alert, but fine, pretty 'up' but very sensitive to aids, minus 'woah' but I can work with that. We rounded my recently found fav field/future cross field all to find someone has dug ditches everywhere. Which I am guessing is for removing the standing water from the crops. *sigh* 
I get that but when you know horses hack here, at least make the ditches shallow and sloping rather than leg breaking rabbit holes. Or at worst, put markers up! Whatever... I shall now ride in your crop fields!
Heading out straight down the middle with a bouncing ball under my butt, I silently cursed myself for lengthening my stirrups so far but we managed by utilizing continuous changes. Transitions, circles, lateral work, (which completely rocks when she is like this by the by). Pal listened... with marish 'tude. She gave me a couple bunny hops to protest at few of my 'undesirable' requests, ie stand. I retorted with many animal- like growls and a whack when she continued. Clearly the whack is what ceases her objections because off we went again until we heard screaming coming from what looked like a herd of deer. I squinted and Pal stopped sharp...

Coincidentally enough some fellow boarders had also had the idea of a trail ride before I had arrived.

We all met up. Pal calmed. I stewed on whether or not I should continue on our way without them. But resorted to staying together but schooling coming and going away from them. At first, Pal didn't like the away portion but got over it... baby steps. This is only day numero uno... note to self; don't push it too far.
We encountered some fallen logs, branches and piled brush. *insert light bulb and grin* Everyone took the long way around, we circled back aways and took the opportunity to do some cross. Whee.
Pal meandered over the obstacles like nothing was in her path... figures, but I will take it. Add that to the back pocket.

Coming to the end of the trail, Paloma clearly as near sighted as I am, didn't even notice the actual herd of deer. 

The rest of the group headed home. I made Pal wait until they were long out of sight. She threw a very mild fit, I answered with making her walk back out to the field away from home again until she calmed and listened to everything I asked without objection. Check! Back pocket.


For the first confidence building field trip, we were faced with a few small objections/battles, but we worked through it and Pal got over herself. I call that the road to progress.

I am curious to see how these post's look by month's end....




"ugh... fine, we will proceed to the yellow soy road"



1 comment:

  1. she's so cute in the red bonnet! sounds like a productive effort on building her confidence. i bet she figures it all out pretty quickly ;)

    ReplyDelete