Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Struggles of the Over Active Brain





*Le Sigh*




I have since convinced dear husband to allow me to go to yet one more short course event this year, spending money I seriously do not need to spend right now as we finish the house and get our finances back in a more linear order.
Though, now that I have admitted to myself that Paloma's wavering confidence induced surge of not-so-safe bravery isn't going to fix itself with me just holding her in check, just enough to get the job done. Yet still enough to make me seriously wonder if I may die at the next corner. (However, I am starting to develop a decent 'event seat' seeing at 'hunt seat' just isn't effective against horse and rider separations).


The height of the fences were not a question in my decision making, nor the dressage or stadium portion but merely the difficulty of the cross fences.
I strive for a nice blend of challenge but not over facing.


The 18" - the dressage is walk-trot and I school first and second level, mainly, at home, so it seems to be pointless since she is already receiving low-mid 70's on the training level tests. The stadium at this height she would stumble and crash through. Getting Paloma to 'jump' 18" is near mission impossible. But the cross, which is new for her, has less fences which may give me more time to school between fences...


The 2' - The dressage is enough to give me something to work towards and always improve, the stadium fences are enough to get her to jump but the cross typically only removes 2-3 fences out of the 2'6" division course. Again not about height but the intimidation factor of each fence is mainly that of the higher level. Is that too much to ask with her still conquering her willies?




One moment I think... "yeah I should drop down to 18"" then the other part says, "get your big girl panties on and ride that pony!" *insert song.... 'Ride that ppoonnay, ride that ponnay'*.
And then, after our recent schooling session, Paloma proved to me that while the fences are intimidating to her and she wants to get over them quickly, no fence, including the 2'9/3' cross fences worry her enough to baulk or bolt.


So is the question really relative to the jump difficulty or is it because her comfort buddy is too far away that flight instinct kicks in?


It seems to be a combination to me... although more so the flight instinct issue.


I know miles are what she needs to overcome this. I know I can ride her and keep us safe either way. But how does one decide the best pathway to get us there...
Do I enter 2' and be competitive in the dressage and stadium, and have words the entire time in cross, possibly adding to Paloma's stress?
OR
Do I enter 18", do the walk-trot despite knowing she can do more, hope she jumps the 18" stadium fences rather than treat them as awkward trot poles but potentially gain more control and increase her confidence on cross?






Hmmm... Decisions...


FYI- I truly appreciate your comments and encouraging messages! I have been having issues with my internet blocking me from replying and commenting. *shakes head* First world problems....






8 comments:

  1. If you can safely get around the 2' fences i would do that. I feel like 99% of horses snooze at the 18"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pal exactly... 'That's not a jump...' Bang and crash later... Lol

      Delete
  2. I haven't been following along closely lately, but I firmly believe that for confidence building a kick ride is NOT where you want to be. I fought the entire time with Murray on XC for reasons unrelated to the actual fences, and it affected our jumping in stadium and XC for weeks afterwards. For me, I would err on the side of low. There will be other events where you can show off and be competitive in dressage and stadium. And there will be plenty of time to challenge yourselves as a pair! If this one goes smoothly, Pal will have built confidence and you can challenge yourselves next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would go for the 2' as well. Paloma can walk that height - really truly. but, like you (and Nicole) pointed out - it's also about the quality of the experience. on one hand, more fences gives you more mileage and the opportunity to settle into a rhythm and let her figure out what's going on (and that it's fun!). on the other hand, if things go south quickly, fewer fences means fewer opportunities for a knock down drag out fight.

    we already objectively know that both you and Pal possess the skills either way - it's just a matter of deciding pros/cons. if you think you will be best situated to give Pal the ride she needs have fun and be competitive at 18" rather than 2', than do that. or, if you'd rather view it as a schooling opportunity and disregard potential placing, then do the 2'. either way i think you will have a blast!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so right and that's where I get thinking lol. More miles or relaxation...?

      Delete
  4. Is there any way you can do the 2' dressage and stadium, and then just go out there and school any of the 2' xc you feel comfortable with, and if she feels overwhelmed, jump the 18" stuff instead? You'd forfeit a ribbon obviously, but that way you have a little bit of wiggle room in the phase she's not quite as consistent in yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good question... Some of the venues are really great to deal with... Some ... Eh... Not sure about this one. But doesn't hurt to ask right?

      Delete
    2. yesss i think this is a great idea!

      Delete