------------------------------------------------------------------
FIVE STARS!
Upon receiving these pads and pulling them out of the bubble wrap, I thought to myself, '....seriously', just as I originally thought when I saw the sticker price slapped on a seemingly way too simple product. I mean really the pads are attached by three cable ties on each pad. One would think for this price the marketing company could come up with SOMETHING a slight bit more visually appealing.
I gave the reviews I had already read the benefit of the doubt. Hundreds of people cannot be completely askew right?
Well, they aren't!
After painstakingly pulling off my current pads and 'zipping' these buggers tightly on, I snipped off the leftover ends and attempted to get as close as possible to the base of the tie as possible. (The snipped parts are SHARP). Most reviews had recommended nail clippers to snip, but lazily I didn't listen, so it took a few shots to get them 'serviceable'.
After mounting up and walking around the arena, of course this is the day mare decides everything is seriously spook-worthy. (Really? We don't spook in 90k winds thrashing the arena but rather when it snows...). Anyways, after dealing with her naughtiness and yet feeling very secure in the stirrups, I took a look down as I normally do since I like to nit-pick how my stirrups are positioned on my feet, It just doesn't feel right unless it is perfect. I noticed that my feet were no where close to where I like the stirrup to sit. But yet I was very secure with not even a hint of 'I want to shift my stirrup around'.
(Ideal for me being base of big toe, following at a nice angle along the foot 'ball' to base of little toe).
I did after all adjust them to how I wanted and proceeded with my ride. Not once in my entire ride did the stirrups threaten to slip off or shift!
I worked on a ton of lateral work since this is always when my stirrups like to slip a bit. No movement! I was very impressed.
Even more credit owing to these pads - I didn't even notice until a half hour into my ride that I had not lengthened my leathers since my last ride, so they were still at jumping length. This was HUGE for me. Normally I am forced to adjust my length, otherwise I get foot numbness and achy ankles (despite recent injury), which always leaves me dropping my stirrups on breaks and rotating my feet to get the circulation back.
Truly amazing.
Over fences... wow. I didn't even have to think heels down. Something about these pads make it easier for your leg to stay 'locked' against your horses barrel. Very cool!
Overall, I have used these iron pads 5-6 times now. Albeit my 'stirrup' rides have been shorter than my stirrup-less rides lately but these are nothing less than revolutionary. And I don't say this lightly.
If you are a hunter like me or even a dressage rider, event rider, trail rider, what ever rider. You have got to buy these!
Pros
- More secure leg position no matter how the stirrup is sitting on your foot.
- Less impact on the base of foot, shock absorption.
- Less to no stirrup slippage.
- Provides a slightly wider foot bed, making balance exercises easier, two point etc.
- No numbness or ankle pain, hallelujah!
- Easy to apply.
- Very durable material. (almost feels like a thin recycled car tire...).
Cons
- Not the most visually appealing product if you are looking at the bottom of the stirrup, but who does that anyways.
- Squeaky when sole of boot is wet.
- Dirt builds up quite heavily, however, it is easy to brush off once dirt is dry. So far does not affect the functionality much if there is build up.
NOTE: If you are buying the pads for jointed stirrups, buy a size down in the pads to make room for the rubber arms of your stirrup.


No comments:
Post a Comment