Monday, December 22, 2014

Post Week Catch-up.

This last week, after last Sunday, I have officially been an offender of the club I seriously despise and refute.
All Theory, No Action.
My sincere apologies everyone.

My rides this week were again like a bag of Party Mix. You can tell I am hungry right now....





"What! I had no idea you were hiding that
carrot in your pocket the entire time!"
Tuesday; What a ride. Pun intended. I rode a little later than normal since the arena, accidentally, was double booked. I was in one of those 'focused' moods and was bound and determined to get it done, and get it done well! This seemed to transfer over to Pal because she responded with the same attitude. While we just flatted, I think we had some of the best lateral work in quite awhile.
A trick I have been using lately was warming up long, low and wide (hands), to create a funnel for Pal to drive her energy, gradually narrowing the funnel as balance and engagement improve.
Widening when reminders are needed, then dropping my stirrups for the first few lateral questions before picking the stirrups up again.
Something about how the freedom and lack of stirrup support really makes me sharpen and hone my awareness of where my body parts are in each movement and how they interact. I think that is good for the both of us because Pal seems to be more responsive afterwards.

After picking her back up again, she felt utterly fantastic. In my minds eye I pictured her looking like a big floaty warmblood jumper, warming up for a GP. Very nice.

 
----------------------------------------------
 
Thursday; I set one side of a 'box' gym. (Box being two diagonal lines set the same distances apart- can be ridden many ways, standard in-out, bending line, roll backs, etc).
It was set for two strides from corner to base, (gotta be crafty with the entering and exiting), with three strides between, ended up being a tight four. Tales of the small arena.
Pal's flatwork was eh... she wasn't feeling it so I listened and planned on a shorter warm-up with a couple run through's of the gym. I really wanted to work in tightening those loose knees and increasing haunch strength.

The exercise worked well. It was tight, tight but it did make her and I sit up and power over. Plus, Pal's knees did tighten up! Bonus.

Pal getting a little deep - past her comfort zone
 









 
----------------------------------------------





"Ohh... nom-noms"
Saturday; I set a full box, X-2'3 vertical for warm up and 2'6 vertical with scary tinsel and 2'9 oxer with barrels.
Mish-mosh, also decided to make her debit back into jumping this day. Woot!

Both Thunder and Pal were very relaxed, almost lazy but performed very well despite the lack of energy. Maybe they were feeling lack of challenge?

We both found the box to be great for working on a proper and solid 20m circle. Great focal point and reminder for when we lose the outside shoulder, lose bend or give away the outside rein.
We cooled the ponies out for the day and decided to let them romp and roll in the arena while we packed the jumps away.
Smartly, I remembered my cam and got a couple cute snaps while Pal played and ear pinned Thunder and he... well watched unamused. Kids!



----------------------------------------------

Thunder - "See, this is how she treats me..."
Paloma- "Beat it! That is my human carrot dispenser!"




2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, that last pic is priceless! That jump set up is one of my favorites...I'm missing my jump lessons. Great pictures, and love the descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thank you. The last is not the best of pics but I had to post. The expressions are so true to both personalities!

      Delete