Thursday, December 4, 2014

Stirrup Mystery.. Solution?

Somewhat continuation of yesterday's post and I invite you all to my own personal pity party, guest starring me!
My ankle is better today, thank heavens, while yesterday morning was agony! As I blearily swung my legs out of bed as per usual at the crack of dawn, (yes I can still say that now that the sun is also in hibernation), I went to stand up all to be slapped in the face by shooting pain.
I can however, thank hubby's handiwork for securely fastening the drapery rod. It is sturdy!

I purchased a neoprene ankle brace at Shoppers Drug Mart at the recommendation of my boss. I am not entirely sure it helps support wise but it sure does keep the swelling down which helps the aching.

Today, as long as I keep moving every now and then and walk very carefully I feel a semblance of normality! Woo.
I know ... I know... all of you are thinking to stop being a baby. But hey it's my blog, I can cry if I want to, cry if I want to. Ha.

Anyways. After some of my usual time wasting research I discovered that many other riders have had the exact same situation happen. Their foot also became wedged in the stirrup and rolled. Common denominator here seems to make jointed stirrups the culprit as they flex with pressure. Hmm...

Sadly, I think it is time to ditch the jointed in favour for a more traditional option. (I hear you GM, I am getting on the fillis bandwagon just for you).


Further reading found that others have done the same but have also been purchasing the 'Super Comfort' Stirrup pads. I have seen many international riders using them on their own basic fillis iron and I mean if they work, fantastic! Beats purchasing these, $200 MDC or Royal Rider stirrups. Score one for bank account. This time....
Though, I have to say one look at these had my frugal brain spinning. They look like the welcome mats and electrical zip ties you find at the local Dollerama. (Don't worry though, I did my homework and checked... they have nothing like this:P).

At $40 a pop for a pair of stirrup pads with six zip ties to secure... I have my doubts. But the majority can't be wrong right? They have rave reviews for helping ankle/knee pains along with slipping stirrups, which I struggle with since I have a habit of hyper-flexing my ankles.




I sunk.... I will report back once they arrive and have been tested. Hopefully I can give a CNnet worthy review. And by the way, if you have not heard of this website and you are looking for product reviews, check them out, they seriously rock!





2 comments:

  1. A lady at our barn has those pads, she had suffered a stroke years and years ago that left one side of her body paralyzed. She has use of it now but will never have the best equitation on that side, but at least she is functional. Her leg is more stabilized and quieter with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so good to hear of this! Glad she is doing well with these.
      I am hoping to give them a shot in a week or so. I have to say though, I am a little doubtful in the value (cost wise). But I am ready to be pleasantly proven wrong!

      Delete