Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Sink, Don't Sit.



Work has really slowed down these past two weeks, so I am usually done pretty well everything before 10:00am which leaves seven hours before home time. The dots on the ceiling are not very well aligned so counting them is out, so I have resorted to learning some new training ideas.

I found this new website called Horse Junkies United and under their 'Learn' tab they have some blogged clinics from various trainers. Which is totally like free lessons! Nothing is free in the horse world so I am taking advantage of this as best I can.

One of the clinics I was reading about, whom the presenter was I now can't recall, but one of the suggestions for someone who was dealing with a green over fences was to 'sink in your crotch before the fence, don't sit or half seat'. I thought this was great advice for those horse & rider combinations, like myself and Pal, where half seat doesn't lend enough assistance and horse falls slightly on the forehand because they haven't quite developed the strength and balance to maneuver the shift in weight.

I am not sure if I can call Pal 'green' anymore but her length can produce some difficulty with the 'sit the haunches' portion of riding. Whether we are hacking or over fences, she plainly gets 'HUS horse flat', as I like to say, unless you help her re-balance now and then.

However, I think much of the time she doesn't see why I am asking her to re-balance and take more weight behind because her App athleticism makes it so she can turn on a dime, rollback or do canter pirouettes with little to no effort. Jumping, well at heights where she has to begin to jump rather than hoist up the landing gear, in order to ensure safety and longevity, she has to sit!
Try to explain that to a a 1200lb female.


When we are working on courses or gyms I tend to alternate between half seat, and opening my hip angle a few strides out and sitting up in a light seat, letting the jump come to us. This helps Pal tremendously to the point where she is now needing less and less from me except I always find I need to make a big move in order to keep up with her jump. In turn, my leg often slips a few inches which is not acceptable in my books. I prided myself on getting even better control on my leg this past year. (Most of the issue was stirrup length but still).
Anyways, last night I decided to have a short jump school and set two low verticals across the diagonal, short two stride approach in the corners but three forward/four tighter strides between. Rather than sitting in a say three point seat, I stayed up in my half seat but thought about sinking down into the saddle.
Wow, what great advice! I found that folding into my two point did not even take thought, it just happened. Pal jumped better, squarer and more to the base of the fence rather than being long and flat. Much more effort on her part.


I am starting to realize that there are likely many times I have used the techniques I have been learning but doing so unknowingly, which takes away from consistency.
I am really enjoying being more aware of my and my horses body and do hope that this time next year I can look back and think wow, I really sucked! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment