Monday, December 1, 2014

Where the Black Top Ends...

Sunday! What a beautiful day....
While I hear many of our American neighbours got quite a dumping of snow over their Thanksgiving break, we up here in Canada, had a wonderful snap from the cold. Saturday was damp and dreary but Sunday... oh Sunday. It was a simply delightful sunny 10c. (Funny how our perspectives change with the season. Just two months ago 10c would see me in winter attire and still grumping!).



Pony love.... or checking my pockets for treatz!
I will stick with pony love - Awww!
My friend Mich, Thunder's momski, met me at the barn for an early 9am ride... How she manages to get my arse out of bed at this sinful Sunday hour beats me.
We decided to take advantage of her being baby-less for a couple hours and head out for a trail ride. Which was fantastic because Pal is getting super stuffy being stuck inside and I just flatly wanted to get out of the barn and soak up some serious vitamin D.

We groomed and tacked, then headed out to mount up. I, brilliantly, remembered a mounting block this time. (Only takes one face plant to teach this smart cookie.)

Heading out we decided to go up the driveway and across the road to the farmers fields rather than going our usual route out back past the pastures.
I have been working with Pal to trail as a onesum, though I know it is not the safest scenario, I really want to make sure she is independant and confident enough to head out without a buddy for next years coming events. But... heading out to a place she has never been, combined with crossing a road where people drive way too fast around a sharp-ish corner, I thought it best to take advantage of Thunder's zen like trail brain in this new environment.

Western pleasure-esque reins? On a trail? Who can do that.... Yeah, Thunder, that is who. He just plods along, ears pricked like we are going for a walk in the dog- errr horse park. Just another day in the life...pft.

While I tried to keep Pal behind Thunder thinking she could eat some Thunder-tude-fumes, Pal had other plans don't 'cha know.       
  
"I am boss mare- I choose the direction of travel. Gosh... read a book on herd dynamics there pet!"
 
I let her take the lead, she was clearly on a mission as usual for trail rides.
We crossed the road and started off into the new fields with a few snorts but no miss-steps or baulks. The rest was gravy! We even fit in a little long trot. Why I cannot find that extension on my own terms I don't know.
 
 
Heading home Mich and I noticed that the arena was freshly harrowed for lessons later that morning and Pal was still pretty 'up' so we decided to go for a little stretch in the lovely powdery footing. Heaven!
 
The trail ride had clearly boosted Pal's mood. She was forward and lofty. With no 'stuffy-ness' to be found.
 

AND to top it all off, the morning came bearing gifts! Janny and Mark, barn-owners, bought Pal a new fancy-smancy new cooler to replace the one that she shredded last week. Ugh.
 
Let me just say, red just might be her event colour... hmmm. ;)
 

 
 
 
 



 




No comments:

Post a Comment