Friday, December 19, 2014

Leg Up and On.

Short-ish post today but despite how many times this has been drilled in my head, last night something clicked. Let's call it revolutionary.



The other day I was reading some transcripts from a Phillip Dutton clinic this past year and the author of the transcript kept saying how Phillip was constantly repeating to all participants of the clinic how important it was to make sure your horse was off your leg the minute you get on, not in ten minutes when YOU decide you are ready to work, right now! Do it now!

I have always been one to get on, drop my stirrups, let the horse walk on a long loose rein for a few minutes and start thinking about allowing my hips to be directed by my horses hips. Basically, joining up our mobility.
When I am feeling loose and following through the hip/back area, I pick up the contact and set out for some lateral work in the walk with some circles and serpentines etc. By that I am typically met by an idle horse who had already determined that today, there will be no work and monkey here will stop nagging if you put up with it long enough. Hmph!

Thusly, I got thinking before my next ride. How can I expect my horse to know the difference between, time to work and time to chill out? I came up with a few ways but I don't want my horse jigging with anticipation when I pick up the reins or half halt. So following Phillip's instructions, I mounted up, left my stirrups off but positioned my leg in a long but proper working position. I also took up a long but solid contact with a wide hand to establish the following, soft contact. Lastly, rather than allowing my leg to be passive, I made sure to send mare forward when she stepped off in her usual moose imspired lumber, when she dropped back, leg on etc.
Really focusing on riding into a steady contact right from the get go.
While, I still allowed myself the minutes of walking large and focusing on me but I was removing the haze in instructions to my horse and the results showed beneficial through during my entire ride.

Repeating the process each ride, I have found that my horse's work ethic has improved tenfold and I am no longer requiring my whip and spurs to inspire.
Low and behold the constant nagging I had to reiterate what felt like a million times is pretty well non existant.
A few reminders maybe, though no nagging.

Good advice can be great, when applied.





2 comments:

  1. I had an instructor who drilled this into us but then fell out of the habit when I started riding my hot, overacheiver mare - the loose rein walk/no stress thing to start really helps on her and kind of became a 'bad' habit for me the last few years. Thanks so much for the reminder, I think the whole 'we're here to work the minute I get on' concept is exactly what lazy Bridget needs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Doing most training myself as well I tend to get a little lax most days! Thank you for the nice comment!

      Delete